Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time 25-40 minutes
1 (15 oz can) chickpeas rinsed and drained
1 cup vegan or semisweet chocolate chips
¾ cup honey or coconut sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease 1 or 2 9-inch round baking pans
- Create a water bath for your chocolate chips: bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the chocolate chips in a small glass bowl and float on top of the boiling water. Melt chocolate chips for ~5 minutes until smooth. Quick tip: heat your chips in the microwave at 15-30 second intervals, stirring every 15-30 seconds until melted.
- Pour chickpeas into a food processor and pulse until they are finely blended (no chicky chunks!)
- Add eggs, melted chocolate, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder, vanilla and coconut oil to the food processor and blend until well mixed.
- Bake for 40 minutes if using 1 pan. Bake for 25 minutes if splitting the batter into 2 pans. Test the center of the cake using a toothpick or knife and bake until the knife comes out clean or with a few crumbs. (Note: Don't overcook or the cake can become dry!)
1 cup full fat coconut cream
2 cups vegan or semisweet chocolate chips
- Melt chocolate chips using your favorite method mentioned above.
- Melt coconut cream in the microwave for 45 seconds- 1 minute until smooth
- Whisk coconut cream into melted chocolate until a creamy, smooth, icing forms!