These burgers are vegetarian and can be made gluten-free by using gluten free breadcrumbs. They can be made vegan by using vegan BBQ sauce and cheese or simply leaving these ingredients out.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Serving size: makes 6, 1/3 cup burgers and serves 2-3 people
- 1 (15 oz can) black beans
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 flax egg **
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Toppings: lettuce for buns (or normal buns!), tomatoes, red onion
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (for cooking)
- 1 tsp olive oil (for mushrooms)
- 8 oz container of your favorite mushrooms ( I used baby portabella)
- 1/4 cup pepper-jack cheese
- 2 Tbsp your favorite BBQ sauce
- Drain and rinse black beans and then mash them in a large bowl
- Add onion, breadcrumbs, flax egg, chili powder, salt and garlic powder to bean mixture and mix until well combined
- Use a 1/3 cup to scoop out the mixture and form into patties (your desired thickness and shape!)
- Melt 1 tsp coconut oil at a time in a skillet on medium heat and cook burgers for 3-4 minutes on each side until brown.
- For the mushroom mixture, heat 1 tsp olive oil in a pan on medium heat and sauté mushrooms 4-5 minutes until soft. Add BBQ sauce and pepper-jack cheese and cook until the cheese has melted into the sauce and the mushrooms are well coated.
- Top your burger with the mushrooms, tomato, onion and lettuce buns!
**Flax egg: mix 2 Tbsp water with 1 Tbsp flax seed meal and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken