This recipe is vegetarian.
I make this recipe at least once a week because it is so good! It has much less fat than normal mac n' cheese, however, you would never be able to tell. Making a roux with oil and flour thickens the sauce without the need for cream, cream cheese, or a ton of cheese. The onion and garlic give it extra flavor- sometimes I add spinach or broccoli as well!
Cook Time: 30 minutes total
- 2 cups or 8 ounces of macaroni or your favorite type of pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat or white flour
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 tsp veggie bouillon
- 1/2 cup cashew milk or your favorite type of milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- salt + pepper to taste
- Boil water for the pasta in a medium pot and cook the pasta to al dente, following the instructions on the packet
- In a large sauce pan, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat
- Once the oil is hot, add onion and garlic and cook until translucent
- Add flour to this mixture and cook until the flour is dispersed in the oil, creating a roux
- Once the flour has cooked for 1-2 minutes, slowly add the milk and chicken broth or bouillon. If you are using bouillon you can add more milk or some water for extra liquid
- Cook this mixture for about 7-8 minutes until it starts to thicken
- Next, add the parmesan and cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce is the desired thickness
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce, stir and enjoy!