Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3-6 hours
This is a hearty and rich chili packed with veggies, tofu and beans. Slow cooking brings out all the flavors in the spices and provides an authentic taste. I recommend cooking for the full 6 hours or longer if you want, you can't really over cook it. However it can be done in 3 hours in the crock pot or 1.5 to 2 hours in a heavy based covered pot on the stove. This is one of my favorite dishes to make a large batch to take for lunches.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 pack firm tofu
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can green chiles
- 1 14 oz can pinto beans
- 1 14 oz can kidney beans
- 4 Tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin
- Half teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 tbsp chipotle hot sauce
- Salt to taste
- Pour olive oil in a pan and sauté peppers and onions over medium heat until they start to soften.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Mix the seasonings together in a separate bowl.
- Crumble tofu into the mixture, leaving some lumps for texture.
- Pour seasonings over tofu and vegetables and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Put in slow cooker on low heat. (If you do not have a slow cooker, cook on the stove on the lowest setting for up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally and added water if needed).
- Add diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 30 minutes before serving: drain and rinse beans and add to chili.
- Cook for 3-6 hours (full 6 hours results in a deeper flavor).