This cake is a perfect recipe for people on a low FODMAP diet. It is gluten free and low in fructose, lactose, fructans, galactans and polyols.
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs at room temperature (separate the yolks and the whites)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (split into 1/4 cup and 1/4 cup)
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a Springform cake pan on all sides. This cake can be sticky so make sure to grease the pan well! You can use a circle of parchment paper on the bottom as well if you wish.
- Separate your eggs. Crack your egg neatly in half over a small bowl and let some of the whites fall into the bowl while the yolk settles into the shell. Transfer the yolk back and forth from one shell to the other and let the whites drip into the bowl. Be careful not to break the egg yolk or it will spill into the whites- the trick is to keep the yolk intact.
- Place the egg yolks into a separate large bowl and add 1/4 cup of maple syrup, lemon zest and vanilla.
- In another medium-sized bowl, add the almond flour, baking powder and nutmeg and mix together until combined.
- Slowly pour the almond mixture into the wet mixture and stir together using a silicone spatula until just combined.
- In a stand mixer, add egg whites and beat at medium speed until bubbles begin to form.
- Once bubbles begin to form, add the vinegar and a pinch of salt and increase the speed to high speed.
- Mix for about 3-4 minutes until the egg whites become big and fluffy and soft peaks appear. You can test the peaks by dipping a fork into the egg whites and seeing if a peak appears when you lift the fork out.
- Slowly pour the other 1/4 cup of maple syrup into the egg white mixture and continue to beat until the maple syrup has been dissolved.
- Fold the egg whites into the almond flour batter one big scoop at a time until all of the egg whites have been incorporated and your batter is light and fluffy.
- Fold in blueberries into the batter and mix until they are just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into your greased pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes until the top of the cake has completely browned.
- 8 ounces lactose-free cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp butter (at room temperature)
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- In a stand mixer, combine all ingredients.
- Mix on low-medium speed to start and then increase to high speed and mix for about 4-5 minutes until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.