This dinner was super easy to make while camping! We chopped up the veggies and portioned the rice, shrimp and broth beforehand so that all we had to do was add it to the cast iron skillet! This recipe can be made on a stove top, however, we made it over a campfire using a fire pit cooking grate.
This recipe is vegan if you choose not to use shrimp or another type of animal protein.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped veggies (I used red onion, red pepper and peas)
- 6 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup Arborio rice
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 pinch saffron or 1 pinch turmeric for color
- 2-3 cups veggie broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- ~ 18 medium-large shrimp- I used frozen, cooked shrimp (6 per person)
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat
- Add chopped veggies to the pan and sautee for about 8 minutes until veggies are cooked yet still slightly crunchy
- Stir rice, paprika and saffron into the veggie mixture and mix well until combine
- Add 2 cups of veggie broth and bring mixture to a boil. Next, reduce heat and to medium-low and let the paella come down to a simmer or very soft boil.
- Simmer paella for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring every 5-10 minutes until the rice has soaked up the water and it is cooked and tender. (If the rice becomes dry, add up to 1 cup extra water, 1/4 cup at a time).
- Once your paella has been cooking for about 45 minutes, stir in your cooked shrimp so that it cooks in the paella for about 15 minutes