Buckwheat flour is a whole grain flour that has a beautifully nutty flavor and is naturally gluten free. It is high in fiber and magnesium. The black specks in buckwheat flour come from milling the hull. Buckwheat pancakes might not be the pretties pancakes you have ever eaten but they are delicious and filling.
Camping Tip: Ryan and I made the batter for these buckwheat pancakes at home and poured it into a squeeze bottle. We kept it cool in our cooler until pancake morning. We heated the gas stove, poured on the pre-made batter and added blueberries! Super simple and an amazing meal to fuel you up for a day full of hiking and exploring the great outdoors.
Yield: 10 pancakes using 1/4 cup scoop
This recipe is vegan and gluten free if you use gluten free buckwheat
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (I used Bob's Red Mill which is not produced in their gluten free facility- if you are gluten free, make sure your buckwheat is produced in a gluten free facility! )
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 flax eggs ** (2 Tbsp flax seeds + 4 Tbsp water)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups nut milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (for cooking)
** Flax egg: mix 1 Tbsp flax seed with 2 Tbsp water and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken. This recipe calls for 2 Tbsp flax seeds + 4 Tbsp water.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) in a large bowl and mix together
- Add flax eggs, maple syrup and nut milk to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined
- Heat 1-2 tsp coconut oil on a cast-iron skillet on medium heat
- Using 1/4 cup scoop, pour batter onto the heated skillet. The trick to making perfectly cooked pancakes is to maintain a consistent temperature- if the skillet gets too hot, the pancakes will cook quickly on the outside and remain raw on the inside. If the skillet gets too cool, the pancakes will become dry
- Add about 6-8 blueberries to each pancake and cook until bubbles begin to appear in the batter
- Once bubbles appear, flip your pancake over. It should be beautifully browned. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until the middle is cooked through!
- Top with maple syrup and enjoy :)