This recipe is vegan and can be gluten free if you use gluten free oats
I have been striving for the perfect veggie meatball. Last year, I had a veggie burger that changed my life! However, the restaurant has since shut down. Luckily, I got the 2 main ingredients of their veggie burger before they went out of business..... mushrooms and walnuts!!
Yield: 15 meatballs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil + olive oil to cook meatballs
- 1 whole onion- roughly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic (whole)
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, roughly chopped (I used crimini)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage OR you can use 1.5 tsp of Italian seasoning in place of these herbs
- 1 cup whole or chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (I use Annie's Organic)
- 1 1/4 cups oat flour**
- Salt to taste
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat
- Add onion and garlic and sautee for 3 minutes until they begin to soften
- Add mushrooms, oregano, thyme and sage (or Italian seasoning) and a sprinkle of salt and cook this mixture for about 8 more minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through
- Add walnuts and Worcestershire sauce and cook for 2-3 more minutes
- Pour the mushroom and walnut mixture into a food processor and pulse until the mixture is thoroughly blended. There should not be any lumps!
- Pour the mushroom and walnut mixture into a separate bowl and mix in the oat flour so that it is thoroughly combined
- Separate the mixture into about 15 equal pieces and roll into meatballs!
- Heat olive oil (about 1 Tbsp) in a skillet on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the meatballs to the pan and cook for about 5-6 minutes, turning frequently so that they brown on all sides. You may need to add more oil to the pan if the meatballs soak it up.
- Smother your meatballs in pasta sauce or pesto and ejoy!!
**Note: to make oat flour, pour 1 1/4 cups rolled oats into the food processor and pulse until oat flour forms (about 2-3 minutes)